Friday, May 15, 2009

Tortillas


Last night I made my own tortillas for the first time, and they were wonderful! I don't think I'm ever going to buy tortillas from the store, ever again! It was super simple too, I just bought the Walmart brand mix (found in the Mexican section), and mixed with water. kneaded the dough, let it sit 15 minutes, rolled it out and made them on my griddle. They were delicious and I highly recommend it to anyone who has the time and likes to cook, you'll be converted in no time! I'm not a fan of the long ingredient list, but you can always make your own from scratch with flour and a couple extra ingredients (shortening, salt, baking powder, water). If anyone tries it out, let me know how it goes!

6 comments:

  1. awww sounds like fun! i'd love to try it but i'm always afraid it's gonna turn into a disaster (taste wise) hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know you could make your own tortillas! Or maybe I've just never considered it. Sounds like something I will have to try. But I will use my panini press!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always used to make pancakes from a mix as well, until I tried making them from scratch, and it was just as easy! So I'll bet you if you made your tortillas from scratch, they would be even more delicious, and you wouldn't have all those additives. It's what goes into the tortilla that makes it so good. What did you put into yours?

    Now you've made me hungry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken tacos!!! I even made my own taco seasoning, it was wonderful :). I'm definitely going to make them from scratch next time to get rid of all the additives, I hate those!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny timing - I was just telling a co worker that I was craving tacos, and I'm a hard taco kinda gal!

    I saw an episode of Good Eats (on food TV) where he made tortillas from scratch. Kinda cool, but I'm often lazy! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if you can make hard tacos... hmmm... I'll have to look into it :).

    I love Food Network :).

    ReplyDelete